Applying for a new Maine Commercial Drivers License

1.  Online application and Checklist download
2.  By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)
3.  In person at a local DMV office


This is the step by step guidelines on how to apply for State of Maine CDL:


For a bus or hazmat truck at least 16 years old to 21 years old.

  • A standard non-commercial license from the state where you currently live is required.
  • License should not be under suspension or revoked.
  • You don’t have a DWI records within the previous 24 months.


Once you meet all of the above requirements, you’re qualified to apply for a Maine CDL. You can get an application form from any Maine BMV office or by going online. The application will ask you if you wish to be tested and licensed for Class A, B, or C.


The license permits you to drive at the class below it. If you have a Class A license, you can drive from Class A to Class C vehicles. Those with a Class B license can drive Class B to C vehicles.



  • 6-year CDL the fee is $34 (under age 65)
  • 4-year CDL the fee is $28 (over age 65)
  • CDL Test cost $35
  • Endorsement fee is $10 each


Written and Skills Exams

Send your completed application with the appropriate fees via mail to:

Secretary of State
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Station 29
Augusta, ME 04333

You can ask for a manual on the Maine CDL requirements and testing and it will be sent to you free before your exams.


New Federal Requirements

You must self-certify your kind of vehicle operation with the Maine BMV by January 2014. This means you must self-certify one of the subsequent driving categories:

  • Excepted Interstate
  • Non-Excepted Interstate
  • Excepted Intrastate
  • Non-Excepted Intrastate

You must provide the BMV with a federal medical certificate if you choose Non-Excepted Interstate.

You need to submit a complete self-certification application by:

  • Faxing to (207) 624-9339


  • Scanning as a Word document or PDF then e-mail it to
  • Mail it to:

Bureau of Motor Vehicles
CDL Compliance Unit
29 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0029


If you have any question please call (207) 624-9000, ext. 52126


CDL Classes for Every State

To be qualified for a CDL, your driving record should be clean. Federal policy requires you to surpass a physical exam every 24 months. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration gives a form that you need take to your doctor. To drive a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce, you should be at least 21 years old. Most states allow those as young as 18 years old to drive commercial vehicles within the state. You must be capable to read and speak English well to read road signs, arrange reports, and correspond with the public and with law enforcement.

The Act launched three classes of commercial driver’s licenses. Each state issues licenses in these categories:

A combination of vehicles with a gross medium weight rating (GWVR) of 26,001 or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being pulled is in excess of 10,000 pounds is Class A


Any single means of transport with a GVWR of 26,001 or more , or any such vehicle pulling a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR is Class B


A single motor vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not convene the classification of Class A or Class B, but is either considered to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placard for hazardous equipment is Class C

Most states make exclusions for emergency vehicles, some military vehicles, fire vehicles, snow removal vehicles and farm vehicles.



Extra testing is required to get permits for definite types of commercial vehicles. Once you pass, you will get an endorsement on your CDL. There are five endorsements that you can apply for. Each entails between one and five knowledge tests via written, and two require driving tests.


  • Double/Triple Trailers (knowledge test only)
  • Passenger (knowledge and skills tests)
  • Tank Vehicle (knowledge test only)
  • Hazardous Materials (information test only)
  • School Buses (knowledge and skills tests)


Medical Certification

In the interest of public safety on the highways, FMCSA policy requires commercial drivers for interstate to be medically healthy to control their vehicles harmless and proficiently. For more information you can check via online regarding details to obtain medical certification.


License Renewal

If you are 65 years old and under the State of Maine CDLs and endorsements is last for five years. If you are 65 years old and over it is good for 4 years. 30 days before it expires, the Maine BMV will send the renewal card via mail for your Maine CDL and any recent endorsements.


The good thing about the renewal is that you don’t have to retake any exams. All you have to do is to bring your card into any Maine BMV office and pay $34 the CDL is valid for five years. The Maine CDL cannot be renewed online unlike the non-commercial ones. In renewing the CDL you must fall in line in BMV office and apply in person.


Endorsement Renewal

Any recent endorsements you have it will be automatically renewed along with the CDL and there is a charge of $34, except the hazmat endorsement, which should follow a special federal policy. You may also be requested to have a new physical exam.


Report it immediately

Once you lost your Maine Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or it was stolen, you need to report it immediately to the nearest BMV office.


Personal Appearance is Required

Online service for replacing CDL is not available for commercial licenses. As per Maine BMV personnel, anyone who wants to replace a lost or stolen or destroyed CDL must really go to one of the Maine BMV offices to report the lost or stolen or destroyed and apply for a replacement.  Any replacement or renewal of a Maine CDL needs a records check through a nationwide database, which must be done in person at the Maine BMV office.


Make sure to bring two valid ID documents to confirm yourself. One ID should show your date of birth, such as a birth certificate or Social Security card; another id must show your signature like your passport or certified school transcript, military ID card or any valid ID. (A list of valid identifications cards are listed above)


Temporary Replacement License

For Replacement you are not required to retake any exams including the eye exam unless your license is for renewal. Go to Maine BMV office and fill out an application for a replacement license and pay the $5 fee. The BMV will provide you a temporary replacement and this will be mail to you the actual replacement with a photo, once it is completed. It will be mailed in two to three weeks time.


Police Report

It is not necessary to report to police if CDL is lost or stolen before issuing a replacement. But, it is a good idea to report the loss of an essential document like a CDL to police to prevent identity theft. You should also inform it to credit agencies, just in case somebody tries to use it and take out credit in your name.

Bottom Sidebar

Disclaimer: is privately owned and is not owned or operated or licensed by, nor affiliated with any federal, state, county, or city government and is not owned, operated or affiliated with any state Department of Motor vehicles. contains general information with respect to United States DMV Offices for informational and educational purposes only and MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT INFORMATION, FORMS AND ANY MATERIALS OFFERED THROUGH THE SITE, WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE.